Monday, April 13, 2009

Two Lenses of Life

Today is my birthday. It’s not a notable birthday in the sense of starting a new decade; but it is notable in the fact that it is ending a decade and that in itself is very powerful. Instead of looking forward toward my goals for the next 10 years, I find myself looking backward to see what I actually have done with the last 10 years.

There are 2 ways of looking at one’s life. One is through the lens of “doing” and the other is through the lens of “being”. Many of us automatically look through the "doing lens". What have I accomplished? What amazing things have I achieved? How many to-do’s have I left undone?

When I asses my last decade in through the lens of doing I come out with an okay grade. I transitioned careers, started my own coaching and writing businesses, wrote three books and learned how to blog!

But it’s when I look at this past decade through the lens of "being" that I feel really good. These last ten years have been one of amazing personal and spiritual growth for me. Through a series of synchronistic events I came upon Zen teacher, Cheri Huber, and the monks at the Zen Monastery Peace Center. I have become part of that sangha and the connection I have with the monastery, the monks and their practice has definitely been the highlight of this decade.

We never know where life is going to lead us. Ten years ago I would have laughed if someone had told me that I would be a regular retreatant at a Zen Monastery in California. That is certainly not how I saw myself.

But life holds all sorts of wonderful surprises for us if we are open to them. I can’t imagine what my life would be like without this Zen practice. And I am sure there are many other wonderful things out there just waiting for me to see them. The trick is to look at life through both our lenses – and not get too focused on the one that directs our attention only to the doing.

The reason for the journey is this: in a journey, discoveries are made.
Kobi Yamada

2 comments:

Jen said...

Happy birthday! I loved the post.

Cheryl Wright said...

Happy Birthday Mary Ann. Thank you for sharing your birthday thoughts.