Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The 10/10 List

A couple of weeks ago I was having one of those days where everything seemed really hard and there was no light at the end of the tunnel. I couldn’t find energy to work on my writing and I was feeling a little depressed as my coaching business was taking a real hit because of the recession. It was one of those “poor me” days which I really hate but I couldn’t seem to get myself out of that space.

Fortunately, my weekly call with my incredible coach was scheduled for that day. We discussed my less than optimistic mood and she asked me if I knew about something called the 10/10 List. She thought it might be a good exercise for me to try for awhile and see if could my shift my focus from "something’s wrong" to the more centered place of "nothing’s wrong". I agreed to give the exercise a try. I have been doing it for a week and it’s incredible! Here’s how it works.

Every morning I start the day of my creating my 10/10 List. First, I write down 10 things for which I am grateful. Then I write down 10 things that I would like to invite into my life. These can material things such new clients or exciting projects or less tangible things such as patience or laughter. I create my list, sit with it for a few minutes and then put it away and begin my day.

Acknowledging the things I am grateful for is a very uplifting way to start the day; and by creating a list of the things I want to invite into my life, I am opening up the channels through which I may actually attract those things.

I don’t know how it works, but I can tell you that doing this list every morning has resulted in concrete outcomes, (new projects, new clients, etc), as well as a greatly increased feeling of excitement and enthusiasm for my work.

I recommend the 10/10 list exercise for everyone, but esepcially those people who are feeling stuck, overwhelmed or a little down in the dumps. Try it and see what happens!


Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass…it’s about learning to dance in the rain.
Anonymous

1 comment:

BeetleBug said...

Hello Mary Ann, first of all, thank you for creating this blog and webpage. I have been feeling stuck for many years and wanted wanted to see a life coach for several years now. However, I couldn't afford one in town. I searched on the net and found you. Your newsletter which I eagerly wait for to arrive at my mailbox is the one source that kept me working on my feeling stuck. Now, I am excited to see this blog and resources. I want to take this opportunity to say thank you. THANK YOU.