Tuesday, August 04, 2009

"That Was Easy"

Recently I joined a Master Mind coaching group. I’m in the process of rebranding myself and growing my business and it’s really helpful to have the extra support of successful and motivated coaches, in addition to the wealth of knowledge and resources that we all share. We’re three weeks into the 6 month group and I am amazed at how much I have learned already, especially around how to effectively use social media products such Twitter and Facebook.

But without a doubt the most fun thing I have gotten from the group was the idea of buying an Easy Button. During our initial session the leader made a reference to Easy Buttons. At first I didn’t quite understand why we were discussing Easy Buttons in a group about growing our coaching businesses. To me, Easy Buttons were just things I saw on Staples advertising. I didn’t realize that when you push it, it actually says, “That was easy.”

However, just for the fun of it I went out and bought one and it’s now sitting on my desk. Every time I complete a task that was harder than usual or make a phone call that I had been putting off, I press the button and get the message, “That was easy”, which in reality is very true.

Just having the button on my desk is a great reminder that I am the one who is making up the stories about how hard, painful or unpleasant a task is going to be; while the truth is it’s just another thing that needs to get done. When I push the button and hear this rather upbeat voice telling me “That was easy” it makes me smile and gives me the courage and motivation to keep trucking on and complete the day’s tasks.

I highly recommend getting an Easy Button for your desk, especially if you are someone who avoids doing tasks or carries the same “to-do” item from list to list. Sure it’s a gimmick, but it’s a good gimmick and what's wrong with a little gimmick if it helps us be successful?


“What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?” Vincent Van Gogh

1 comment:

Sherry Belul said...

I want an easy button! I love how simple this sounds -- but with a big impact on helping us change the way we experience our lives. Thanks!