Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Rewards of Staying the Course


I have just come back from an incredible vacation in Alaska. Alaska is an amazing place. There is a different feeling there than I have experienced in any other state I have visited; and the nickname, “The Last Frontier” seems incredibly appropriate.

We did a lot of hiking while we were there and I noticed a vague sense of apprehension as we were trekking along the trails. We were in bear country, but I have been in bear country before and hadn’t really been that bothered by it. Somehow the vastness of where we were made me feel particularly isolated and vulnerable, even though there were other people on the trails.

It was an interesting experience and there were times when I had to quiet those voices in my head telling me that this was too dangerous and that we should turn back. I had to tell myself that here I was in Alaska, this amazing place and it would be just plain stupid not to take advantage of this time to see and experience everything I could.

In many respects, the hiking we did was a great metaphor for our lives. I bet you can think of times when you started out to do something you really wanted to do only to get sidetracked by the voices of fear and doubt. Life can be scary at times; but if we can muster up the courage to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, we will reap the rewards of not giving up.

The glacier in the picture was one of the rewards we received for staying the course.

The choice is ours. We can follow the excitement of life or we can dawdle around reading the danger signs and never get anywhere.Cheri Huber

No comments: