Thursday, July 02, 2009

Celebrating Independence Day

This weekend we celebrate the Fourth of July, the quintessential summer weekend. Parades, ice cream, and fireworks will be the order of the day as cities, large and small celebrate Independence Day.

In my family, the Fourth of July was the best of all holidays. We would wake up about 7:00 am to the blast of my father’s shotgun announcing the start of the day. We would then spend the day shooting off fire crackers, making ice cream, swimming and playing softball. Later in the afternoon my aunts, uncles and cousins would arrive for a large barbecue. Before we ate, one of my uncles would always read the Declaration of Independence. Then the day would wrap up with a wonderful fireworks display. It was a day tailor-made for kids and anyone who was a kid at heart.

I still love the 4th . It brings out the kid in me and that’s a good feeling. I also have fond memories of my uncle reading the Declaration of Independence which still makes me pause for a moment and remember what this day is truly all about.

It is my hope, as we approach this weekend, that families all over our country are taking the time to have fun and are creating memories that they can carry with them throughout their lives.

How are you going to spend the weekend? Will you march in a parade? Are you going to take your kids to see the local fireworks display or maybe have a family picnic at a park or the beach? This is a special day – make it special for you and your family.

Fun is where it's at. That's why you need to be there. - Unknown

1 comment:

Sherry Belul said...

I loved your story about what the holiday was like when you were a kid. I was just thinking that the BEST part of the 4th of July for me was sitting around a big table outside with friends and family eating and laughing. I was so perfectly happy to be surrounded by people I love and feeling the sunshine on my face.