Wednesday, May 13, 2009

The Distracter Factor

I just sat down to write a chapter for my new book, Risk It – Take a Chance and Jump into Life, and quickly became aware of just how distracted I was. I checked my e-mail, then went on Twitter, then I made some phone calls. Then, ironically, I decided to make a to-do list of all the things I needed to get done today - and of course, the first item on the list was to write my next chapter, the one thing I was doing my best to avoid.

At that point, I decided to take this opportunity to write a quick blog entry about how easy it is for any of us to get distracted during the day because of what I call the Distracter Factor.

The Distracter Factor comes in all shapes and forms and its only purpose is to do whatever it takes to keep us distracted and diverted from successfully reaching our goals. Some of its more obvious strategies include television, video games, movies, and naps. How many times have you found yourself frittering away your time watching TV, surfing the internet, or just "zzzing" out on the couch? Most of us can recognize when we are using these kinds of activities as an escape or distraction, but the Distracter Factor can also take a more subtle approach.

It can trick us into believing that busy work is actually important work. It can lead us to believe that as long as we are actively doing things, we must be accomplishing something valuable; while at the same time diverting our attention to less meaningful and important tasks such as answering e-mails, browsing the Internet, engaging in long-winded conversations, or running unnecessary errands.

How often have you found yourself at the end of the day wondering where all your time went and why you haven't gotten more done on a specific project? You know you were really busy, but somehow the one goal or task that you really wanted to get done has fallen through the cracks.

But the most toxic ramification of the Distracter Factor is that it can lull us into accepting the fact that we actually don’t have the time or energy to achieve our goals, and that what we have accomplished is fine because we at least gave it a good try. It gives us permission to settle for less, to play small, and to sell ourselves short – all under the guise that we are working hard and doing the best we can.

The good news is that the Distracter Factor only has power when we are not aware of its existence. Once we recognize what is happening and are aware of the strategies it is using to divert our attention, its power disappears because we have the ability to self-correct and get back on course. And now it’s time for me to get back to my chapter!

Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress. Alfred Montapert

1 comment:

Sherry Belul said...

Loved this blog entry about distraction. Til I realized ... yikes!... this is a distraction. But it is a very useful and eye-opening one! Maybe I should schedule a time to read blogs I love so they fit in my "education" vs "distraction" category?!